RSS

Fabulicious Root Beer Ice Cream

10 Jun

Ooohs, aaahs and mmmmmmms filled my kitchen this afternoon, finally broken by my teenager’s question, “Do we have to save some for Pez?”  J.S., who was asking, had also been the one to make the ice cream we were enjoying.  Unlike the times when he helps make other food in the kitchen, he volunteered to do it.  Practically begged.

Pez would be home from kindergarten in about 15 minutes – plenty of time to finish off the rest of the ice cream and hide the evidence.  Then again, he’d probably smell it the minute he came in. Darn.

So I did the grownup thing and said that we had to share.(Too bad I didn’t think of just airing the house out.)

Root beer ice cream became an instant favorite at our house after I first experimented with making it. I had a tiny vial of root beer extract that had been sitting on my shelf since I’d picked up at Wal-mart the Christmas before, and thought that instead of spending time making root beer and ice cream for floats I would try combining the two.

It was a hit.

Unfortunately, that was the last time I ever saw root beer extract for sale in our town.

Anywhere.

Finally, during my vacation in Utah last month, I hit the jackpot. I was at the grocery store with my mom, and happened to look up and see a shelf full of beautiful bottles of root beer extract. Bless the Utahans.

I quickly grabbed four of them to pack home (bottles, not Utahans), crossing my fingers that they wouldn’t leak all over the books that nearly filled the rest of my suitcase.

I hope they last until my next visit.

(The bottles, I mean. There’s no way the books will last that long.)

Next on my list is to come up with a dairy-free version.  I generally use coconut milk for dairy-free ice cream, but I don’t think coconut and root beer would make a good combination.  When I find something that works, I’ll let you know.

Meanwhile, I’ll take pity on you and quit my rambling to share the actual recipe.

Warning:  do not attempt to make this unless you have access to a ready supply of root beer extract.  You have been warned.

Fabulicious Root Beer Ice Cream

• 3 C whole milk* (or 2 C milk and 1 C cream)
  • 3/4 C sugarCuisinart ice cream maker
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/2 tsp root beer extract

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and mix well. Freeze according to your
ice cream maker’s instructions.

(I use the Cuisinart ice cream maker pictured at right, which
I highly recommend.  The ice cream is ready to eat in
about half an hour, and no
rock salt or ice are needed.)

*I use raw, organic whole milk, which has an abundance of cream.

Have a great summer!

Advertisements

Tags: , ,

10 responses to “Fabulicious Root Beer Ice Cream

1. itsybitsybrianna

June 10, 2011 at 2:06 am

I love homemade ice cream!
    and I LOVE root beer!
    please stop by and say hi.
    xoxo
    bB

2. Elizabeth Mueller

June 14, 2011 at 4:51 am

Mmm, sounds yummy! And here I thought you grabbed 4 Utahns and took us home! 😉

What if we don’t have an ice cream machine? 😦

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
    Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?
    YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

• Aunt Alice

June 14, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Well, I have to admit I was tempted to take the Utahns, starting with my mother, but I couldn’t squeeze them in my suitcase with all those books!

I suppose you could make a root beer milkshake (assuming you have a blender). Better yet, get yourself an ice cream maker so you can have yummy homemade ice cream all summer long! Click here for one that’s similar to mine (affiliate link). You stick the bowl part in the freezer to freeze it, then just pour in your mixed ice cream ingredients and turn it on. It’s soooo easy! (Too easy. I have to be careful not to make/eat it all the time!)

3. Julie Chino

June 22, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I agree with your points , great post.

4. Sheryl DeGering

June 26, 2011 at 2:10 am

Thanks for the recipe, i just bought an ice cream maker yesterday, found your blog while tweeting – loved the story!

• Aunt Alice

June 26, 2011 at 3:47 am

Glad you enjoyed the story. I hope you enjoy your new ice cream maker, too – all summer long. 🙂

5. Sarah

June 26, 2011 at 2:53 am

After eating homemade Ice Cram, the stuff for sale at the store does not taste as good.

6. Eric Myers

July 8, 2011 at 6:56 am

Oh man! Nothing beats homemade ice cream. This was like a root beer float all put together in one fantastic combination. We will definitely be making this recipe again soon. Thanks!

7. Aunt Alice

November 3, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Update 11/3/11: One of the stores in my area is now carrying root beer extract. It must be just for me!

8. make little

June 20, 2014 at 5:07 am

Spot on with this write-up, I actually believe
    this amazing site needs a great deal more attention. I’ll probably be returning to see more, thanks for
    the info!