RSS

Gluten-free Recipe: Rice Tortillas

01 Apr

This tortilla recipe was created by my dear friend, Kendel Milburn.

They take a bit of work, but they are delicious–and well worth the effort if you can’t have gluten in your diet. I like to add a touch of garlic powder to the dough, but then, I like to add garlic to almost all of my non-dessert recipes!

Rice Tortillas

rolling pin

Photo by Shut Down at sxc.hu

Makes 8 small tortillas

• 1 C long grain, whole white rice, cooked
  • 1/4 C water
  • 1 TBS + 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 to 1 1/4 C white rice flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • waxed paper
  • extra oil

Preheat a skillet.

Put  cooked rice, oil and water in a blender, and blend until creamed.

Spoon into a bowl.  Add rice flour and salt, and mix to make a soft dough.

Pinch off a small ball of dough (about the size of a ping pong ball). Put between two well-oiled sheets of wax paper, and roll out to about 1/8″ thick.

Carefully remove top paper, and turn upside down onto hot skillet (so that the remaining piece of wax paper is now on top of the cooking tortilla). Cook for about a minute, then remove the other piece of paper and flip the tortilla to cook the other side.

Repeat with remaining dough.

About these ads

19 Comments

Posted by on April 1, 2011 in Allergies, Gluten-free, kitchen, Recipes

Tags: , , ,

19 responses to “Gluten-free Recipe: Rice Tortillas

1. Julie

April 2, 2011 at 3:47 am

Has Kendel tried this with brown rice and brown rice flour? I am curious, as I tend towards the whole grains, and would be interested in trying the recipe, but only with ingredients I already have!

2. Aunt Alice

April 2, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I talked with Kendel, and discovered that she didn’t create the recipe after all, though she’s been using it for many years.

She said that the tortillas don’t hold together well with brown rice, because it isn’t as gelatinous. She generally uses whole-grain Basmati or Jasmine rice, but any sticky rice would work well.

If you have a food processor or a professional blender, like a Vita-mix, you could try it with the rice you have and blend it extra well. You might have to be extra careful in pulling off the wax paper. If you try it, let me know how it goes!

3. Eric Myers

May 18, 2011 at 7:07 am

Wow what a great recipe. I have been looking for a good gluten free tortilla recipe. I live in Arizona and do a lot of Hispanic cooking. The tortillas were the missing element for my family to enjoy a tasty Mexican dinner thats also gluten free. Thanks!

• Aunt Alice

May 18, 2011 at 4:38 pm

You’re welcome. Let me know how they turn out for you.

4. Gina Mindock

April 9, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Finally an easy gluten-free rice tortilla recipe. All the other ones had too many ingredients.

I live in Costa Rica and do not have access to many things, in fact I will have to use my coffee grinder to make the rice flour, but no biggie if it means I can eat gluten free.

My digestion is failing again because I have been introducing gluten foods like tortillas…but I love them so much and feel deprived when I cannot make the many wonderful meals that I have come to cherish.

Once I try out your recipe in the next week or so, I will sure write back with the results. Thanks Aunt Alice for sharing this with me.

• Aunt Alice

April 10, 2012 at 4:17 am

You are very welcome, Gina. I know how hard it is to completely stay away from foods you love. I hope this helps you feel less deprived, and that you will soon be enjoying better health.

5. Marty Yowell Stefanek

July 31, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I would love to know if anyone made this with the brown rice or basmati rice! I want to give it a try, but would like to know if it has been tried already and what the results were. Thanks!

• Aunt Alice

August 8, 2012 at 5:20 am

Basmati rice might work, but I don’t think brown rice is “sticky” enough. If you try either one, let us know how it turns out!

6. Sarah H.

February 10, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Amazing! I live on a small Bahamian island, and it’s really difficult to get gluten free goodies down here. I’ve been looking for a good gf flour tortilla recipe that doesn’t call for a dozen exotic ingredients and found this. I had a pot of brown rice and lima beans left over with carrots in it that I blended then added an equal amount of AP gf flour and wee tiny pinch of guar gum and baking soda. Proceeded as directed rest of the way and VOILA! Amazing tortillas! Now I’ll warn you, they seem rubbery and a bit gooey inside at first, but today was the second day after making them and putting them in the fridge, and after a 30 second nuking they were soft and pliable and amazing. Thank you Thank you Thank you!

• Sarah H.

February 10, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Oh…I take it back after re-reading the instructions; I dropped them like thick pancakes into a hot nonstick skillet devoid of oil and swirled them around to thin them like crepes.

7. Tracy

February 11, 2013 at 7:48 pm

As it turns out, white rice is actually better for you then brown rice Anyway. The anti nutrients or photic acid is in the germ which is in brown rice. So your body doesn’t absorb those extra nutrients as they are bound with the phytic acid.

I can’t wait to try this!

Thanks,

Tracy

8. Athomeattorney

March 12, 2013 at 2:03 am

These look very good, brown rice tortillas are so expensive. So simple and easy, thanks.

9. Candice Land

March 17, 2013 at 5:06 am

This sounds like a great and simple recipe! In addition to being gluten free, it is relatively lectin free (with the white rice), as well. For anyone with intestinal issues, this recipe is a God send! Thanks so much. Can’t wait to try ~

Candice

10. Val

March 22, 2013 at 2:19 am

I made them using Trader Joes already cooked brown rice in the freezer section…turned out fabulous! I also use a mixture of 1 part ground flax, 1 part tapioca flour and 3 parts ground gf oat flour…gives them more texture.

11. John Lucier

April 26, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I’m thinking that brown rice with an egg might work. Has anyone tried this?

• Aunt Alice

April 26, 2013 at 6:42 pm

That’s a good idea. The egg should help hold it together. Just remember to use a bit less water in the recipe. Let us know how they turn out!

• John Lucier

April 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm

It turned out okay… Very brittle though. I’m going to try adding another egg to see if this helps, but any suggestions on how to make a little softer other than that?

12. Aunt Alice

April 29, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Hmmmm…. Maybe use a combination of white & brown rice flour??